Venn Software named as a Sample Vendor for BYOPC Security in the Gartner® Hype Cycle™ for Endpoint Security, 2023, and in the Gartner® Hype Cycle™ for I&O Digital Workplace Transformations, 2023
The recently published Gartner® Hype Cycle™ for Endpoint Security, 2023, and the Gartner® Hype Cycle™ for I&O Digital Workplace Transformation, 2023 examine innovations for Endpoint Security and I&O Digital Workforce Transformation technologies. Both Hype Cycles, in which Venn Software is named as a Sample Vendor, note that BYOPC is a high-benefit technology that is gaining traction with enterprises.
At Venn we’ve long known that a new approach was needed for securing remote work. The future of remote work is changing and the workforce has become more diverse with new remote work initiatives and the growth of offshore workers and contractors to help companies scale their businesses faster. Allowing people to have one laptop for work and personal use that keeps work data safe and secure will increasingly become commonplace just as we saw with mobile phones over a decade ago. Part of BYOPC’s appeal, Gartner explains, ”Hybrid work has expanded the number of devices from which users access company apps and data, with personal PCs making up an increasing proportion of BYO devices in use.
The report notes, maintaining a robust security posture in environments where user-owned/unmanaged devices access corporate applications and data requires a dedicated BYOPC security initiative. At Venn, we help organizations looking to secure remote work on any BYOD or unmanaged computer without the cost and complexities of VDI or having to lock down every PC. It’s ideal for organizations looking for a better way to quickly and securely onboard new workers in a way that reduces the burden on IT by eliminating the need for buying, managing, and shipping laptops to employees.
According to the report, capabilities to establish suitable levels of control on a BYOPC — whether through the use of application controls, isolation of data, conditional access or a combination of all three — allow for flexible options to suit multiple use cases. With Venn, work lives in a company-controlled Secure Enclave installed on the user’s PC or Mac, where all data is encrypted and access is managed. Work applications run locally within the enclave where business activity is isolated and protected from any personal use on the same computer. Company data is now protected without having to control the entire device, and as a result, remote work is secured without the cost, complexity and performance issues of VDI.
The report goes on to mention several other key drivers behind BYOPCs growing popularity, including:
- Hybrid work has expanded the number of devices from which users access company apps and data, with personal PCs making up an increasing proportion of BYO devices in use.
- Increased access for more users, from more devices, improves business continuity, and gives users more flexibility at nominal cost, but requires new and adaptive security controls.
- Increased rigor in authenticating users and devices is warranted as the use of harvested user credentials by bad actors increases. These attacks are increasing and more security will be needed on a personal device.
Venn helps organizations maximize the benefits of BYOPC by providing:
- A secure workspace for remote work on any BYOD PC or Mac
- The ability to scale rapidly and onboard and offboard workers in minutes
- Data protection that prevents accidental or malicious exfiltration
- Turnkey compliance to meet SOC 2, HIPAA, SEC and more.
- Configurable policies to control which applications are purposed for work and functions such as copy/paste, printing, downloads, etc.
- An alternative to VDI that is less complex and requires no backend infrastructure
(1) Gartner, Inc. “Hype Cycle for Endpoint Security, 2023” by Franz Hinner, Satarupa Patnaik, Eric Grenier, Nikul Patel
(2) Gartner, Inc. “Hype Cycle for I&O Digital Workplace Transformation, 2023” by Autumn Stanish, Pankil Sheth
Gartner does not endorse any vendor, product or service depicted in our research publications, and does not advise technology users to select only those vendors with the highest ratings. Gartner research publications consist of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization and should not be construed as statements of fact. Gartner disclaims all warranties, expressed or implied, with respect to this research, including any warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
GARTNER is a registered trademark and service mark of Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and internationally and is used herein with permission. All rights reserved